Saturday, October 10, 2015

BLACKPOOL ILLUMINATIONS


Blackpool Illuminations, for those not so Northern who may not know, are an annual selection of lights which are hung and lit up every Autumn in Blackpool along the seaside. When I was a child my parents didn't really do holidays abroad, they were more of the caravanning/camping type. I have a lot of childhood memories in that tacky ol' town of Blackpool. Every year for several years me and my parents and my sister would drive down to Blackpool for a few nights in October just to see the illuminations as it seemed to become a bit of a tradition. However, it has been way more than a decade since I last went, and now I'm living just 45 minutes away, me and my boyfriend decided to go on a little spontaneous drive down to see them the other night. We set off around 6pm so that by the time we got there is was just about dusk. We parked up near the seafront and walked down to the pier and by the time we got there they all pinged on and a small cheer of passers by. Unfotuantely, Blackpool isnt known as the most prettiest of seaside towns (it is certainly no Brighton!) but there is just something about it that us Northerners secretly love about it. The old school tackiness is extremely notstalgic. Going back after such a long time, and it being me driving the car this time rather than sitting in the back in a booster seat was really quite strange. I cannot help but get that song by Simply Red stuck in my head everytime I'm there (it's called Fairground and the whole music video features him in Blackpool during the Illuminations). It was lovely though, the radio was even playing 90s dance hits which were big at the time when I was there last, which was even more weird, it was like some sort of time machine!

There was something somewhat comforting about being there that night, because I sort of felt more at home since I had so many memories from there, although I wasn't with my family and I was in fact miles away from my home town. Everybody has those places that hold so many memories and it is always nice visting them every once in a while. Now that I've got my own transport I'm hoping we can go on little mini road trips a little more often when we get the time, to where, I have no idea, but it's nice to know that I can when we want to!

- Alison xx

No comments:

Post a Comment